My girlfriend Kristi sent me the link to this amazing little recipe – another great school snack for the kids.
I adapted the recipe from Lehman’s Country Life and really this recipe can be made in so some many different ways. Any nuts, dried fruits and seeds you have in the house will do.
- 2 cups almonds (or any other nuts you prefer)
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup flax seeds, chia seeds or pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cup dried prunes, dates, raisins, cherries (anything you want)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup organic peanut or almond butter
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup Nutiva Organic Coconut Oil, melted
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2-3 tsp Simply Organic Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 bag of dark organic chocolate chips (2.5-3oz)
First, place the top five ingredients into the processor (nuts, flax seed or chia, dried fruit, shredded coconut, and nut butter). Pulse for 10-20 seconds. Let sit.
In a sauce pan, melt coconut oil over very low heat. Stir in sea salt, honey, and vanilla into the liquid coconut oil.
Add the coconut oil mixture into the food processor and blend until the ingredients all form a thick ball. Cover a 9X13 glass pan in parchment paper (tip: wet the parchment paper to make it easier to fit in the pan) and spread out this thick paste into a thin layer, over the paper. Place it into the refrigerator for an hour to chill or until it solidifies.
In a small saucepan, melt chocolate over very low heat, stirring continuously. Smooth melted chocolate thinly over the base; return to refrigerator for 30 minutes, until chocolate hardens.Remove from refrigerator, cut into bars, and serve cold. Makes about 12-15 bars. Store in refrigerator or freeze to enjoy later!