What kid doesn’t like rice crispy treats? Of course you would think that because they are made from rice that they would be gluten free. Unfortunately rice crispy cereal contains malt so in order for your treats to be gluten free you need to make sure that you are starting out with gluten free rice crispies. Crazy right!
The nice thing about this recipe is that you can adapt it easily to accommodate picky eaters, and you can throw in some hidden healthy ingredients that the kiddo’s won’t even know about.
(I use a large glass measuring cup, and I recommend melting the butter first and then swishing the butter around the measuring cup. This way the marshmallows won’t stick to the sides of the bowl).
- 1/4 cup organic butter
- 4 cups mini marshmallows
- 1 cup gluten free rolled oats
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- 1 tbsp flax seed
- 1/2 tsp salt (optional – I omit)
- 1 1/2 cups gluten free rice crispies – I used chocolate ones this time. (Please note that traditional Rice Crispies are not gluten free – they contain malt)
Add dry ingredients to marshmallow mixture and combine well. Butter fingers slightly, and press mixture into a greased 9×13 glass pan.
This recipe is very versatile, so feel free to make any of the following substitutions and/or additions:
- organic raisins or craisins
- organic dried fruit of any kind (i.e.: cherries, apricots)
- nuts of any kind (ie: slivered almonds, chopped walnuts, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds)
- really anything that you can think of can be added!
NOTE: When substituting remember the more dense your substitutions are the more marshmallows you may require.