If you are from Canada you know that Christmas just isn’t the same without Nanaimo Bars. These delicious bars are a triple layer of goodness and there is not one person I know who has tried them and not loved them. To make these bars gluten free, all you need to do it use gluten free graham crackers – the rest of the recipe remains the same.
Ingredients: (bottom layer)
- 1/2 cup organic butter + 1 tbsp organic butter
- 1/4 cup Wholesome Sweeteners Organic Sugar
- 5 tbsp cocoa
- 1 tsp Simply Organic Vanilla
- 1 organic egg
- 2 cup gluten free graham crackers (made into crumbs)
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
Place butter in the top of a double boiler, melt butter and beat in vanilla, egg, sugar and cocoa.
Combine graham cracker crumbs, coconut and nuts in with this mixture.
Pour mixture into a parchment paper covered (wet paper to mold to pan) 9 inch square pan and press down to form bottom layer.
Ingredients: (middle layer)
- 1/4 cup organic butter
- 3 tbsp organic milk
- 2 tbsp vanilla custard powder (available at Cost Plus World Market – Bird’s Custard Powder)
- 2 cups of icing sugar (powdered sugar or confectioners sugar)
Blend together all of the above ingredients and beat until very smooth. Spread over bottom layer after the bottom layer has cooled. Let stand for 15 minutes to harden.
Ingredients: (top layer)
- 4 ounces semi sweet chocolate
- 1 tbsp butter
Melt chocolate and butter in a double boiler and spread evenly over middle layer.
Cut after bars have cooled and then place in tin, refrigerate or keep in a cold place.