Here is another great and easy make ahead dinner for those busy nights. Gluten free shepherds pie can be prepared early in the day, put in the fridge and popped into the oven 30-40 minutes before serving. Just add a salad or veggies and this meal is complete!
- 1½ pounds lean organic ground beef
- 6 organic potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 medium organic onion, chopped
- 2/3 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese (if desired – I didn’t use)
- 2 organic carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 stalk of organic celery, chopped
- 1 cup gluten-free beef broth
- 1 tsp chopped fresh or dry rosemary
- 1 tsp chopped fresh or dry thyme
- 1 tbsp chopped Italian parsley
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp organic ketchup
- 2 tbsp potato flour
- 2 tbsp organic butter
- 1/2 cup organic milk
- 2 tbsp organic sour cream
- salt & pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
In a large pot of water, boil potatoes and cook until tender, about 20 minutes.
Drain potatoes and mash with butter, milk and sour cream. Season with salt and pepper to taste; set aside.
Cook beef in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add the onions, carrots, and celery. Cook until browned, 8 to 10 minutes.
Drain away any fat and add the broth, vinegar, ketchup, worcestershire sauce, and herbs. Simmer about 10 minutes, mix in the flour. (TIP: the water from the potatoes works as a great liquid if you are using powder beef broth)
Pour the meat and vegetable mixture into a large glass baking dish.
Spread potatoes over the meat mixture, then crosshatch the top with a fork. Top with cheddar cheese if desired or sprinkle paprika on top.
Bake until golden brown on top, 30 to 35 minutes.