This recipe was introduced to me by a new friend, Liz who happens to have a great gluten free website, The Best of Gluten-Free Living. Liz made this soup for our book club the other night, and I made it for the family shorty after.
It has a wonderful taste of curry, lemon grass, coconut, fresh ginger and of course sweet potato.
- 1 large onion chopped (approx. 1 cup)
- 2 tbsp Nutiva Organic Coconut Oil
- 2 cloves organic garlic minced
- 1 tsp red curry paste or 2-3 tsp curry powder
- 6 medium sweet potatoes (approx. albs) cooked and mashed
- 28 oz of organic chicken broth (add more or less to create consistency you want)
- 1 14oz can unsweetened organic coconut milk
- 2 inch piece of fresh lemon grass, with small cuts all down each side to let out the flavors (this will be removed before serving)
- 2 tsp grated fresh organic ginger
- 1/4 tsp white pepper
- salt to taste
In a large pot, sauce onion, garlic and fresh ginger in oil. Add mashed sweet potatoes, chicken broth, coconut milk, lemon grass and curry and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes.
You can use a crockpot, by adding all of the ingredients and a 1/2 more broth or water and leave on low for 8 to 10 hours.
This soup can be made a few days ahead of time as it keeps well.