I have a friend Amy, who is one of those people that can whip up a meal and it always tastes great. She’s never afraid to try a new recipe for a dinner party even if she hasn’t tested it first (this never works out well for me). Did I mention too that she makes the most amazing cookies!
I still remember the time we went over to her house and she made this for us for the first time. I of course needed to have the recipe and I’ve been making it every fall and winter. The only adaptation I have made, is to add shredded chicken to the soup after it’s been pureed, however that is purely optional.
It’s another easy recipe (I seem to like making those ones, don’t you?) and would be a lovely meal with a gluten free grilled cheese sandwich and salad. Enjoy!
- 2 tbsp Nutiva Organic Coconut Oil
- 2 organic garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 organic medium sweet onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 cups Organic chicken broth
- 1 28 0z can organic peeled whole tomatoes, and their juice
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- juice of 1/2 organic lime
- seven 6″ organic corn tortillas, torn into small pieces
- 2 tbsp chopped organic cilantro (optional)
- 2 organic chicken breasts
- 2 tbsp taco seasoning
In a large pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the garlic onion and red pepper flakes and cook over medium heat until the onion is translucent, about 7 minutes. Add the chicken broth and the tomatoes and their juice, bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
Add the cumin, salt, lime juice and tortillas and simmer for 2 minutes
In a blender (once soup has cooled) or using a hand blender, puree soup. Garnish with cilantro and serve.
If you are adding chicken, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place chicken into greased pan and sprinkled with taco seasoning mix. Bake for 20-25 minutes until chicken is fully cooked but still very juicy. When chicken has cooled slightly shredded and add to soup.